IoT SIG AGM - December 20 2019
5:23PM Dec 20, 2019
Okay, now it's time to start our general meeting.Good morning, good morning, Buenos Aires Good afternoon, Europe. Good evening, Asia, and good afternoon, Africa. It's very pleasure to see all of you and me and the board is a very pleasure to gather you in this cozy space of internet, and start our general meeting. Okay,
Let's member register and join to us. They continue. For various reason I think not all members were able to join us. But we believe that they are with us, and we feel were presence, and their interest. Of course, I was joking, but our main task today is to create a community, that will help create conditions for seek a solution for everyone, for eachcountries. We want as many people were involved in principle work of implementation of Internet of Things solutions, and in all areas and fields of our life. Unfortunately we were almost two years in the period of launch IoT Special Interest Group project. This was due to many reasons, the main one
I can manage you and mute or seizure one of your microphones as a coordinator.
So I continue.The main of the reasons in our opinion is a lack of organizational techniques, technologies and procedures that could adequately show how to manage and develop such structures. I think that it will be more correct if we will be saying not managed but governmence. But it is concerned with it's not managed, internet, it is governance of Internet. First of all, it is international structures which bring people together, not only around national programs but it's very different interests of people in different countries, in different circumstances. But it is a large number of participants that are distributed across different time zones, and all continents, excluded only penguins, only Antarctica. Something difficult were our experiences with our financial activities and resources. We are not able to immediately start the work of our working groups. If you remember, we created seven working groups, which were created to establish. Yes, I repeat that it was it was very difficult to realize this works. However, we have tried to establish communication, and one of the first difficulties was how establish communication. It was register with domain name. Mailing list has been created, thatwas first edition of our mailing list before we transit to mailing list by MemberNova. Website was created. Created a group in Facebook and in Telegram. And registered a pro account in zoom, which we are now using. I described the difficulties that we have, and we're (unintelligible), let me still go to the positive sides, and what the has been done, okay?
I just start my presentation, and try more substantive tell you about our work during 2018 and 2019. Sorry 2018 is regionals. Okay.
Agenda of our general meeting consists of eight points.
And now we start on the report of first point report on our work teams. Structure of our SIG is, active members 1147. I don't understand why, but seven members, seven entity in mobile panel of ISOC MemberNova does not exist, or was deleted, but this member in our groups. Involved in mailing, you see only 81, 82 person. Total recipients is the same percent. Successfully delivered our mailing only 911, 923 members. Open it, only about half of members. Undelivered and errors is about two persons by dropped and bounces . Telegram channel, join 46 members of our members of our SIG, and in Facebook is 34 members.
Our general meeting, in accordance of our bylaws, should elect the board and the standing committees. The member of board and standing committees form an Executive Council. The Executive Council are forming the temporary committees. nominating 3 temporary committees: nominating committee, election committee, and audit committee. The franchise obligation of each of these committees is described in our bylaws. So, I propose, and work proposed, that we establish an Ad Hoc Digest group. Ad Hoc Digest group is a group for preparation and publisher of monthly digest, IoT Digest.
Suggestions for the election of IoT SIG Board. We suggest there are 4 person, there is a chapter chair. vice chapter chair, chapter treasurer, and secretary. And we have suggestions for six IoT standing committees. There are seven standing committees which covered different hills. Open Data, data protection, privacy. The second one is cybersecurity. The third is IoT in different fields of economy, agriculture fields, environment protection, and others. Standing committees on IoT readiness, concerned with infrastructure skills, government regulation, index of country regions. The next one is standardization, protocols, and ipv6 implementation. Sure. It should be standing committees on academia, education initiatives, development of curricula, and education program. It's a big issue for all countries, and for all communities, as I know. And, very interesting for our points of view on meber development and collaboration. One of the result of our meeting should be a proposition about,who can lead these standing committees, proposition about candidates to leaders of these best positions of standing committees.
Next one, in our report, is a page about our resources, which covered domain registration and revenue, website development, hosting services since 4th quarter of current year, and organizational cost preparation and cost for the IoT workshop in Yerevan. I repeat that we have 14 actions aimed on community network campaign, IoT campaign, and Internet Governance campaign. And one of these actions was very interesting in this year. Very interesting IoT workshop, with a program of so called N2 forum in Yerevan. It was a big forum, was gathering people from Europe, from Asia, was gathering ICANN, RIPE, the guys from from ICANN community, RIPE community, ISOC community. The duration of our workshop was about four hours, and (unintelligible) in internet by the zoom means.
We had three application programs in last year. it was our attempt to Beyond The Net Medium and Large Grants programs. The theme was the development of unified database on sensors, actuators, and networks elements, aimed at IoT, but our application was declined. in this year, we [repeat] such attempt, and active part from our SIG was Professor Pietro Manzoni. This issue on IoT development for collecting environmental data to monitor climatic change, but our application was declined too. We don't have any admin funds during two years, and our chapter admin funding grant is now under review, application under review status.
About our events. If you enter in our page in ISOC.ORG member panel, you can see that we have activities, and we organized 4 workshops and conferences. So, workshops and conference, and I think that in this field, our activities will be more interesting, and morecontent, in the next year.
This is our plans. The mobilization and consolidation membership plan, just, first of all. We plan work on consolidation, and improve of collaboration between IoT SIG members, I repeat as well, is our main task. Initiation, and leadership of cooperation with ISOC SIGs, and other ISOC structures, I think is a very important field of our activity. Sure, involving youth generation in IoT issues, and solving IoT issues. We plan the project of promotion of events, which have organization by our chapter, by our SIG. Okay, it's a production of educational program, in the formal of a guidebook. Creation of communication channels on IoT issues. Creation of platform for collaboration discussion on the IoT issues, by organizationof workshops, conference, introducing our members in the ICANN, RIPE, and maybe regional discussion platforms. Initiation and support to IoT events.Okay, we plan to establish Awards for the best implementation IOT with a social aspects, with the best of IoT educational program, the best or the agriculture IoT project, the best of the industrial IoT project, the best of the IoT climatic project. And the creation on our SIG web resource of he IoT international knowledge platform. This is very ambitious project. But we believe it is very interesting, and means a lot to all of us.
I want to say a few words about performance evaluation criteria of the SIG. This issue have two part. The part one, aim to determine if a chapter is in a good standing. Now we we have a good standing status. But, in next year, will be seven points of evaluation criteria. The first off, is conduct at least one mission-related activity. Schedule of planned / upcoming Chapter meetings. Maintaining an updated list of chapter members. Hold elections according to bylaws. And, very interesting, we maintain the chapter with a minimum of 25 individual members. We have now more than 1000. And have and maintain articles of associations, bylaws, or equivalent governance definitions. I say about this, that we all members should should be involved in these activities, and should be involving in reach always on this criteria.
Yuro, you can, I guess you can mute
Yes. Yes. The next part is to determine chapter Badges and Awards, and this is a weight. So, is a weight of criteria. You can see that number for chapter / SIG activities is the weight of 40 per cent, and per cent of participation by participating in regional calls per year is 20 per cent. So it's show us what's the main criteria we should reach in next year. Okay. Now I want give speech to our Vice Chair Vahan Hovsepyan.
Yes, thank you. Thank you, Yuri. I just want to add some things about the ISOC IoT SIG workshop in Armenia that has been organized within the framework of the N2 forum that was in Turkey. Numbers and the names forum, organized with the engagement of a number of local and international counterparts. This iwas the first time we've managed to arrange such forum, and it was the joint forc, for our local industry, Armenian Operators Union, and ISOC Armenia chapter. There were also the engagement, from the state part. Armenian state, has interface of Internet Governance Council, was also the organizer of Armenian IGF. So, we had several events there. We had Armenian Operators Union conference on cooperation for digital future. We had the Armenian IGF, we had Armenia Youth IGF. We had the RIPE NCC banking workshop, and ,we had the RIPE NCC member lunch, and we had the ICANN EEDNS forum, and the final, but not the not less important, we had the ISOC IoT SIG. And this has enabled us to get the high level representation from ICANN, from ISOC, from RIPE NCC. We had there the Goran Marby from ICANN.Were had there Frederic Donck from ISOC, and (unintelligible) from RIPE NCC. And of course, there was also the involvement from the state representatives. It was the minister, and deputy ministers, regulator representatives participating there. But what was quite interesting, and Yuri can also talk about that maybe, it was the online participation from our SIG members from different countries. So, in fact, we had the F2F meeting the factor, but online participation, I guess, was also very, very active and thanks to Yuri, the content was.
Sorry, sorry, sorry. I want to add to you speech that we receive see that F2F meeting is a very effective means to reach our teams, and local F2F meeting between members of SIG in the countries, or maybe inter-countries in the region, indeed, similar region.
Yeah, sure. Yeah, in fact, this first attempt to gather and make this workshop, in my opinion, was successful. We will continue such initiatives in future in different countries. It might be Georgia, might be Ukraine, might be other countries where our presence, where we have members, and if they have the initiatives, we will support this initiatives, I guess, for sure. Another point that Yuri has also mentioned, and I want to emphasize, is the role of SIGs, and our SIG particularly, in the general environment of ISOC. We should understand what is the role of SIGs and if you (unintelligible). Some two or three years ago, there were some some some two or three SIGs. Now we have another six, and we should also understand what is the role in the this environment, in the structure of ISOC, how we can effectively work in this environment, support ISOC structures, and they can support us, support our members to do a lot of things for IoT development, supporting (unintelligible) development, etc. I remember, we have raised this question in Abu Dhabi with ISOC officers and, after that, they considered this issue also. If you follow the developments in ISOC, you see that the role of chapters, the role of SIGs is also going to be changed -- more emphasis and more attention to their involvement, and engagement, and legitimacy issues, for its discussions together. I guess we will be more effective there, if we have more leadership, and I call for your leadership there, call for your more active participation there, sharing their thoughts to understand how we can contribute to ISOC goals and missions. This is the second point, and we ISOC IoT SIG, should also be a leader in this, and also talk to other SIGs. We have raised this question also with Evelyn. It's not an issue, it is the challenge and opportunity for all of us, we should understand that, to be more stronger together. We are in short context. We are discussing this issue with ISOC officers also. We have discussed our suggestions and propositions with other SIGs. We will email to ISOC in June, July of this year, and will follow this issue. We go, step by step, to the decisions, and to the solutions that can that can bring us to a more favorable position. One of the main issues we have is -- and challenge and opportunity, let's say -- is our membership base. It is, in fact, not the one of -- it is the main opportunity, and main challenge for us. As Yuri mentioned, we have more than 1000 members now. Yes, we did something for some members. We have supported African members to participate in an African meeting. We have supported our European members to participate in the European meeting. We arranged these activities in different countries. But, in fact, we should understand how we can be supportive to our members in these countries, and how they can contribute to ISOC IoT SIG work. This is the main issue. We should talk, and we should understand how to engage them in our work, and how to provide them opportunity to talk, to share their concerns, to share their advice etc. And, we can. In fact, we have discussed it a lot with ISOC SIGs, and ISOC officers, and, just two or three days ago, we were talking, on the executive board, with Yuri and Natalia Filina. In fact, it was very effective. We came to some suggestions that can solve this issue. I guess, next to my speech, Yuri can also represent these suggestions. So, I'll appreciate if you have questions, and will be glad to answer these questions, and will be glad to hear from you what you think, and what is your suggestions for the next year. Thank you.
Thank you, Vahan. I think that we don't -- at least me -- don't understand the format of our general meeting. Because I see that only 18, 17 members are present now in our communication. What the quorum of our meeting should be? In our bylaws, we don't find the answer to this question. Maybe, our general meeting should have to be two or three days long. One part is the hour of online communication, and the few next days may be listing, emailing the MemberNova platform. What do you think about this? What are your suggestions related to this situation? Because, from the answer, depends our next activity, next action. Somebody want to ask about this? Ask, or propose an answer on this question. Ucha?
Yes. I'll try to ask a few questions. First of all, thank you, Yuri and Vahan for this great job. You did a lot of, and very important, future for everyone, I think, with relating the Internet. so, my personal appreciation for your job, for your activities, first of all. I have just two brief questions, because for me it's just beginning to be part of this process. Do we have a special group, inside of the SIG, which is working on the policy and legal issues? For me as a lawyer, it's an important question, because it's a beginning for most of countries. I'm pretty sure about the Ukraine, and Armenia, this is also the beginning for these stories. So, do we have special groups, which is pointed, related directly to the policy and legal issues related with IoT? And my second question is related to the community networks. I saw in your strategy, if i'm not right please interrupt me, or correct me, who are related to this group, community network group, and what they are doing? Thanks Yuri.
It's not so simple. We don't have.
I can just add, Yuri. Look, these standing commitees have been formed based on the suggestions from the members. If you have any suggestions, if you have, for example, the content that you think it can be put there, initiation and process is in your hands. We can make it. Sure. If we have any initiative from any member of IoT SIG, we can support, and we are eager to support, this initiative.
Okay. from our side, I'll explain why it's important for us. It's a beginning of the story for Georgia. (unintelligible) We have a few directions, regulation, code of conducts of regulation, a lot of (unintelligible), a lot of legal questions. So, for me personally, I don't know about the other members of this Interest Group. But for me personally, it's very important, because (unintelligible), we know the story of Canada, we know the story of the United States, other countries, so it will be good to push this also in our countries, to find the right direction, because it's another challenge, also for every country. That's why I'm asking to create, or to support, this direction, this idea, this whatever. Thanks
Good direction and suggestion and we will, of course, put it in our agenda. But I want just to back to one of the standing committees. Yuri can you put back the presentation on standing committees, the page, slide with that? Yeah, just one minute. So, we have a standing committee if you see that is for -- go to the standing committees. Yuri?. Next slide. There it goes, Next slide. Yes, yes, yes.
Look, here we have a standing committee on IoT readiness, infrastructure skills, government regulation, country readiness index. I just want to emphasize this part of government regulation. In fact, it is a policy. But it doesn't cover all your questions, Ucha. There are examples of IoT readiness in other countries. When we're going to suggest the policy change in the country,we should come to them with some examples, some data, because if we come to government and say, guys, we need to make this policy change, etc, without any data or story -- so, it is quite complicated. But, when we come and provide them the data, that we have made this Country Readiness Index, and here is the samples and examples of appropriate regulation in other countries, it helps much to deal with local governements. So, we suggest you to take the leadership on this, and come with us and make this.
And different countries have different challenges to IoT, and have different level of readiness for implementation of IoT. This is a very difficult situation for our neighbor's countries. For example, Belorussia, Moldova, and Ukraine have very, very different, different levels and readiness regarding to, for example, Russia.
Yeah, sure. We have a question here from Claire. And I just want to..
Sorry, sorry. How about community networks. There was another question, also.
Yeah, sorry for jumping.
Yeah, yeah, sorry, sorry. Ucha
As I see the situation, the community networks should help us construct understanding. The atmosphere of understanding are the real challenges present in the country's market, in the regional market, I mean, IoT markets. Community networks, and the building of community, is one of the important instrument, important tools for understanding what's the real challenges for this situation, for this territory, for this region. First of all, it is people. People is the new oil in our 21st century.
Okay, just small remarks, and I will finish. Sorry guys for interrupting your time.
I can just add a bit to Yuri's answer, to have a complete answer for your question, maybe. The community networks projects are doing a lot, but when we go and deliver the Internet to the communities, it's just the first step. For example, the same example of Georgia, it brings them not just the Internet, it brings them the economic development, they see the value of using this internet,. The next step, from our perspective of view, I see, that we should give them the perspective of what to do with this as regions, in these community networks, how this IoT can be helpful for them, what type of IoT products can be used there. Could it be for example, IoT products on force protection, it can be IoT products for agricultural, IoT products in tourism, etc, etc, etc. So, we should have some package, maybe, for community networks, package of IoT possible products, possible activities, possible solutions that these community networks can use in their communities. Thank you.
Yes, well, how about another question? Sorry, not finished. Give me time to finish. Vahan? Small and medium enterprises have same challenges. You know, (unintelligible) perfectly. Same challenges have also medium, and the micro businesses. We have to put there just another (unintelligible) because, honestly, micro Internet service providers have almost the same challenges. There's also a future to stay alive on the markets. That's all I'm asking. Maybe you can put there, not only community networks, If you answer it by this way, and also micro, small, and medium enterprises, or telcos, or whatever, you can relate it to the these directions. I finish. Thank you guys.
Actually, you come to a more general equation. The answer is to understand what type of IoT products we can find, or solutions we can find, for different businesses. That is one of the standing committees we have mentioned. Just two days ago, I've met with some Armenian telecom operators, and it is the question: Yes, telecom sector, large sector is losing, large telecoms are losing the money from different OTT providers, OTT services, etc. Small and medium operators are in a danger to be just grabbed by the large telcos, and everybody is looking to use their networks, to use their (unintelligible), their finance, to use their resources, to get more differentiated, let's say, revenue stream. To understand what to do. IoT might be one of the positions they can use to diversify their revenue streams, and to participate in digital economy building But, we should make enough efforts to train them, to provide them a proper education, to provide them with, maybe not only with the support, and in cooperation with associations, etc, because it's not our role to provide, for example, the funding, to leave them to funding instruments etc. But we should cooperate with other associations, so we can provide for example, the education, the training, etc. and associations, governments, international organizations can provide also other instruments for these activities, like funding.
And thank you much, Ucher, for your patience.
For the question that came from Claire, Yuri, can I can I answer to that?
Yes. So, Clara, as I understood, your question was about understanding the experienceof other SIGs, how do they run this issue? How do they solve this issue? This was, and is, one of the main suggestions we have to ISOC, to gather together with other SIGs to understand what type of problems we have, what type of success we have, how do we solve properly these issues, and how we can solve properly the issues of each other. This experience sharing can be very interesting. We have (unintelligible) these questions also. We have arranged a large document with all these questions, and suggestions etc, and sent it to SIG leaders, and ISOC officers, and (unintelligible) from other SIGs. They told us that they joined our concerns and solutions, and suggested for us to raise these questions with ISOC staff so we did. Coming to your particular question, I think we don't have that information yet. But (unintelligible). Thank you.
I saw that Benjamin now propose that we build the questionnaire, and a special questionnaire about readiness, and about, maybe, other issues, about problems, other problems and sharing with all the members, to use as initial fact finding across the region. It's a good idea. It's a very good idea. And, in this manner, we can define such initiatives, for a movement in our future. The discussion about recent initiatives I propose to transfer in our mailing, and make our mailing very active and substantive, is one of the main tools for reach of our aims, and so forth, our tasks. first of all, organizational and administrative tasks. I repeat, I want that we, first of all, build our institution, building our community, our IoT community, within the ISOC community, and includ in our activity, many, many people from other regions, from other conditions in this region's terms. So, it's a very ambitious taskt, but I think that together we can solve it.
So, who else can discuss it with us,, or maybe who have propositions or suggestions? Yeah. Patricio. Okay.
Okay, thank you Yuri. For this presentation, this opportunity to share our ideas. I am going to ask you about your plans for committee under SIGs. I understand that education is one of our more important tasks, to improve IoT in our communities. So, I think we have to build stronger opportunities to access education in terms of IoT. My question, or my proposition, is, how can we improve that tasks, improving education, giving education, not only to our students in schools, or educational institutions, but to government, and to companies, because I understand that IoT is a concept and a construction. If you ask people what IoT is, perhaps you will get different answers to that question. So, I think we have the opportunity, from education, to build strong message, and very strong platforms and contents to bring a good massage about what are IoT is in terms of education. I'm not sure if I am clear with my question on my proposition. Thank you.
Thank you, Patricio. It's very clear for me, because I'm one who is a lecturer in State Telecommunication University in Kyiv. It's one of my positions. I feel in my fingers what is difficult of this issue and its challenges for me and for my students. We don't have current curricula, and we don't have an educational program. This really amounts to a real situation in life. What do I propose? We should create the Standing Committee on Academia, and in this framework of standing committee, establish movement, and gather experience in this field. I know that guys from Spain, from Italian, from Argentina, they have very interesting experience, and maybe we prepare some guidebook in electronic form, a quick changing electronic guidebook, because of the challenges in our real life, yeah, really change quickly. We should change our approach to solve our problem. For example, in our university one of the big operator, mobile operator I mean, established an educational program, a special educational program for IoT. But this is it, a proprietary program. It's not open, it's a closed program. We will try, in our work, to create new approaches, and I want to propose all of us start actively discussing these challenges, these propositions, these suggestions, each of us, in the emailing, because during general meetings, during our online discussions, we don't understand all the new answers, all nuances of the situation. Maybe we forgot this. Maybe we don't understand. But, in the longest time, in the longest period, in the maintenance of this issue, in these challenges. I think we can find the solution.
Can I just add a bit? I work a lot with RIPE NCC academic engagement initiative. So, I see a number of challenges and (unintelligible) of working with academia and state bodies. I would like to divide this issue to two layers, let's say, one is the awareness layer about IoT itself. Very precisely, it has been said that yes, different people will give different definitions of what is it, exactly. They say that IoTs entrenched, that IoTs maybe a good thing, etc, that part about IoT. They don't know, for some of the political leaders, the government, maybe some people in the United States, they don't know what exactly the opportunities that are there. Maybe they think that it is just a technical issue. It is not. Maybe they just are not aware that there are a lot of issues that are raised on legal, economical etc levels. They don't have any idea about that. So the first opportunity, and possibility, and I would suggest to go with that, the stage one awareness project. What is IoT? What is IoT for universities? What is IoT for businesses? For telecom operators? What is IoT for state officials? Et cetera, awareness program. Second is more deeper, let's say. a program that can be a stage two. It is about IoT researchers that will have, in some cases, in some universities, Yuri has mentioned the Ukraine and Argentina. If they go deeper, if they understand how it can be done, students can make that research, and the professors can lead research, on practical issues of IoT implementation, in different areas of economy. This is already a different program. This should be in coordination with the universities, so it can be enrolled in their academic program, or it can be the occasional program etc that you can take a bit for. What we can do, as of now, we can just boost the activities and awareness stage one program, and this can be done by each and every member we have at IoT SIG in their locations. Thank you.
Thank you. I propose to discuss. Sorry, Patricio?
No. Thank you, Vahan, for your intervention.
We just shake hands.
So, I propose to continue our discussion about directions, topics, and about the future of our standing committees in our mailing.
I would suggested to go back to the slide on future activities. So, our members can also suggest, or share their experience, share their opinion about these activities. Maybe we should add something on that or not. And after that, Just to go to the bylaws changes, maybe suggestions for bylaws changes that can make our work more effective. So, if anybody has the suggestions for next year activities we can just put there now.
More detailed activities will be harmonized it with ISOC Action Plan 2020.
There was also was one thing in the Yuri's presentation I just want to emphasize, guys. A shame, we didn't get the administrative funding, but still we have managed to get a number of support from local companies, from private companies, that have supported us in our activities. Yuri have managed the personal support from Ukraine, I managed from Armenia, and Arpinet was also one of the companies that have supported our web development and hosting. So, we don't rely on administrative funding, and contribute to our time and resources to this to this Special Interest Group. f it is in line with your mission. objectives, you will also contribute this time and resources, and, if not, of course no, But we're going to continuously support our members in their project and their activities. One of the issues, maybe I didn't mention, is that we have supported African and European members to go to chapter meetings, but we have also members, I guess, from Latin and North America. I guess we'll talk with ISOC oficers and support our members from Latin and North America to go to their chapter meetings as well.
Okay. Yes.Let me start the discussion on the bylaws.
Dear colleagues and friends do read our bylaws before our general meetings,
No. Yuri. No.
Maybe you can comment on the bylaws, on this points we marked in red.
Actually, if you, the members, if you didn't read this it is not
It is not actual.
It is not actual but, in fact, it is the universal bylaws that ISOC shares with our SIGs and, I guess, chapters.
So, if you have read any of these bylaws, about 95, or even 99% is the same, so you didn't miss anything. What we are going to do -- what is the difference between chapters? I just want to be very clear on that. What is difference between the chapter and the SIG? Chapter, each and every chapter, they have geographical location. Each and every chapter are like a state, let's say, and each and every chapter can run their location-based services etc etc. They can even, and it is one of the requisites of ISOC, they should have the legal body so they can get, for example, the funding from ISOC, they can run bank accounts etc. One of the main problems with SIGs is we have members from, I don't even know, from how many countries? 30, Yuri? or 50?
30 now, yeah.
I guess next year it can be 50. So, if we go and establish -- we just cannot establish a legal body around this because -- if we, for example, establish a legal body in Armenia, or in Ukraine, because we have a chair from Ukraine, next year, it can be a chair from Namibia, and what we can do with this organization, with the chair from Namibia? We can do nothing. We cannot establish an organization in Armenia or Georgia, etc, etc. I guess we can. If you can share your thoughts on how we can do that. You're welcome. So, the good thing is that we are represented in very many countries, in many countries, 30 countries and we cover all these countries etc. The bad thing is that, in fact, we cannot work very actively with so many members from so many countries, as of now. Maybe we can find an instrument to work more actively with these countries, and with this membership, but still we didn't.
So, if we go to the suggestions to the bylaws. Can we go to the suggestions? Is this the first suggestion, article XI?
Yes, Article XI.
Yes, amendments are a work in process. So, it says that, it is the universal thing and, in fact, in in case of chapters, geographical chapters, I guess it is really great. But in the case of us, I've just described the problem. So, it was written universal bylaws, no official business of SIG shall be conducted unless a quorum of SIG is present, or reached, and the next sentence is about the quorum. A quorum of the SIG shall be defined as 30% of the voting membership of the SEC. In our case, it is about 400 people, that will never meet, and next year it might be, for example, 1000 people. So, with the suggestions from Yuri, on several days of general meeting that we can announce, and several days of working, we can also use, we can just take out this quorum limit, and put only the obligatory announcement that we have, where is it, the announcement about the general meeting that should be done, or presented, right ahead of general meeting. So, each and every member should be aware, should be informed about general meeting, about the procedure, how and when it will take place, and what is the working procedure. So, the first suggestion is to remove the quorum. Second suggestion, as you can see, decisions are made with simple majority, at least 50% of the present members, it was written present members. Now, it is suggested to be put there, at the least 50% of the members present at general meeting. The logic of that is following, guys. If we have for example 1000 members..
Yeah, if we have, for example, 1000 members, based on current bylaws, we should have at least 500 votes to make the decision, or 550. But, if we have 1000 members and, for example, 100 is active and wants to participate in general meeting, and they participate in that in several days, during several days, they comment on issues, they read the issues, they talk the issues, and they discuss the issues, and they vote for that. So, in that case, it is one 100, we need just 50 people, active people, to have the decisions made. So 50% of members present at general meeting. We will have another suggestion, Yuri?
I don't have suggestion because we discussed befor, but I want to ask you about, about suggestions and propositions from our members.
Do I have anybody?
Yeah, we will really be glad to hear your suggestion, guys.
So, sorry for jumping, it's Ucha again, I have questions. No one read this Chapter. Draft. So, for me personally, it's impossible to say something right now. So, at least, ,maybe I need at least two days to read and to make some suggestions from my side.
Yes, very difficult conditions for so complex special interest group. Maybe it's very interesting and understanding conditionsfor national chapters, maybe, but for special interest groups, it's very...
Also, going ahead, we have discussed this issue.
Yeah, we have discussed this issue with other SIGs. We have discussed this issue with ISOC officers. There is now not any clear answer on that, yet. It looks like they're looking at us to see what we will do, and how we treat this issue. But answering also, which is a question, and maybe suggestion, and come it also comes to the suggestion, I would just advise Yuri, and if other participants, our members, agree with that, just to put this, and to send this chapter with the suggestions to all the members, and asked for their opinion to be provided in a week, maybe? So we can also validate it, until we can accept it.
Yeah, we can validate our decision only after discussion, and opinions, and when we know the opinions of our members. It's the only criteria of validation of our decision, decision as a special interest group,
But here is just the place just to ask questions, and understand the problem. And, if you want to clarify something, will be just flat to provide the clarification.
I think you have very much clarified this problem. And we should describe this problem in our mailing, a separate item in this mailing.
I will suggest to put all this question, as you have suggested, for example, to put it for several days general meeting, and to put the voting process in the several days, we can start
I think (unintelligible) with the several days.
Yes. Great. So we can
It's only the start, the start ofthis process.
Okay, great. So, we can put all these suggestions in mailing list, or in somewhere at the website, how we can suggest us, so we can have a time to see all the documents, and share our opinion on that.
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. And I think that with discussions about candidates in our standing committees will be focused in the mailing list to in few days, in several days, after. Because we don't have, now, any candidates, any proposition. Okay, I come back to our..
I would just suggest, Yuri, to put in the decision on steering committees. This document, in fact, accessible to the members. But, the selection of steering committee, and steering committee members, and chairs, can be done after.
Yeah. Yeah. Maybe somebody have another opinion? Please? I repeat my answer, my question, sorry, ok?
Yeah. Zakir says that mailing list is ok. We can put it to mailing list. And I would suggest also to do the same with the (unintelligible) is that ok?
Mailing list is okay? Write to Zakir, ok? Ok, let's meet so, so, so, please.
Yes, one question, not one question, but the clarification for the executive council, to our participants. So, executive council is a council that consists of the board members.
And also the heads of standing committees.
Standing committees, yeah.
Yeah, that is why It is very important to have the heads, or chairs, of the standing committees,
It's 11 people.
Unless we don't have these standing committee chairs, the Executive Council consists only from the board members of SIG, that is not so good from our point of view.
So temptation's quite big, Vahan, you mean?
Yeah. We need other people as well too come to executive council and support, by their contributions, the SIG. Not purely public financial contributions, by the way,
Let me, at this point finish with our meeting, and focus it. It's not finished our meeting. It's only finished in this day of our meeting. Because, our general meeting will be during several days, and discussions between us will be focused it in the mailing list, in the items of mailing list, with you opinions, with your propositionsn and your suggestions. Okay, thank you very much for all of our participants.
Thanks, Yuri. Thanks, Vahan. For your job.
Thank you for all. As I understand we recorded our general meeting. Yeah, Vahan?
Yuri. If you didn't make the recording, I didn't.
No, I didn't. Okay guys, let's talk again.
Yeah, because I came to meeting a bit later.
Thank you. Thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot. Oh, Jolly. Joly, look, recorded. Thank you..
You're our saviour. Thak you, Yuri, and it can be great.
Thanks. So we continue our general meeting, next days, and suggestions. Go ahead.
Okay. Thank you very much for all.