Three ways to start and transcribe your conversations
Otter helps you capture, find, and share important moments from your meetings, interviews, and everyday conversations so you can stay focused, save time, and work more effectively. Using AI, Otter listens to your voice conversations and generates “smart notes” – accurate, machine-generated text that is synchronized with audio and enriched with speakers tags and summary keywords.
This article will guide you step-by-step on how to record, import, and sync your conversations with Otter. To get started, launch the Otter mobile app or visit https://otter.ai online, and login with your Otter account.
- Record Live Conversations in App or on the Web
- Tap the blue microphone button in the mobile app or click the blue “Start recording” button in the web app to begin recording immediately. As a one-time setup for Web only, click OK when your browser asks you to give Otter access to the microphone.
- Speak into your device’s microphone in English. You will see the text in real time while recording, as long as your device is connected to the internet. For best results, place the microphone within three feet of anyone who is speaking and try to minimize background noise.
- If you wish to pause the recording momentarily, select the pause button ( or ). To resume, select the blue microphone button again.
- To finish recording, select the stop button ( or ). Your newly created conversation will save to the My Conversations tab by default, or in the Group or Folder from which you started your recording.
- To rename your conversation, simply select the current title to edit it, then select the “Done” button to save your changes.
- Import Existing Recordings
Otter lets you import existing recordings in the following formats:
- audio: mp3, aac, wav, m4a, wma
- video: mp4, avi, mov, wmv, mpg
Select the gray import button at the top-right corner in the mobile app or the “Import audio/video” button in the web app to browse files on your device.
- For mobile, if you want to import a file that resides in the cloud, please download it to your mobile device first and try again.
- For web, you can drag and drop multiple files into the import pop-up window.
Select a file to import.
- For mobile, the import will take place in the background. You may continue to use the app immediately.
- For web, the import may take a few minutes to finish, depending on the size of your files and the upload speed of your internet connection. Click the “Done” button when all files have finished successfully, as shown by the progress bar.
- The newly imported conversations will be added to the My Conversations tab by default, or the Group or Folder in which you started the import.
- Once Otter has finished processing, you can play back the recording and edit the conversation.
If you have a Zoom Pro, Business, or Enterprise plan, you can turn all your Zoom cloud recordings into Otter conversations automatically.
- In the web app, click the round account button at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Click “Settings” in the pull-down menu.
- Scroll down to select “Connected apps” and then click the blue “Connect your Zoom account” button.
- You will be directed to the Zoom login page. Sign in using your Zoom account information.
- Click “Allow” to grant Otter access to your Zoom cloud recordings.
- Otter will automatically sync any new cloud recordings from your Zoom account and turn them into conversations in your Otter account.
If you have a Zoom Free plan only, you can manually import Zoom local recordings (audio_only.m4a) into Otter by following the instructions in the previous section.
Bonus Tip: Highlight Important Moments
While recording or after-the-fact, you can highlight sentences in the Otter conversation with just one tap. This feature is available now in the mobile app and coming soon in the web app.
- Open the conversation you wish to highlight.
- Tap on a sentence you wish to highlight and move the start/end markers to modify the selection as needed.
- If you are currently recording, you can also tap on the highlight marker icon at the bottom-right corner to highlight the last complete sentence in the live conversation.
- To save the highlight, tap “Highlight” in the pop-up menu.
- To remove a highlight, just tap on the highlighted text again and select “Unhighlight.”
By the way, the Otter Free Plan gives you 600 free minutes to record and import every month. You can check how many minutes are remaining for the current period by visiting the Settings page in your Otter account.